Saturday, January 8, 2011

Saturday Afternoon Funeral

I'm providing music for a funeral service at my church this afternoon. I didn't know the woman at all, but she was a long-time member of the church who passed away this past week.

Funerals were never a part of my performance experience until I came on staff at Springfield Presbyterian almost two years ago. My first post out of college was at a church that had a much younger congregation and I played for several weddings for members, but never any funerals. Springfield, by comparison, has a much older congregation. I've played for several funerals in my time there, and not one wedding!

As I was pulling out music and running through repertoire for the service earlier this morning, I got to thinking about what makes good 'funeral music'. I have several books I find myself consistently referring to when I'm looking for repertoire, but I'm curious to hear from some other musicians as well. Does anybody have any great resources for funeral music? I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment