Saturday, June 9, 2012

Summer Hymn Project

I'm still working on putting the finishing touches on my summer practice incentive, but I hope to tie up all the loose ends today and have things ready to share either later today or tomorrow.

However, in the meantime, I thought I'd share about a special project that I'll be working on with two of my students over the summer.

I have two very precocious beginning students- siblings. After our first few lessons, they started coming to their lessons every week talking about how they found certain musical elements in their hymnal at church over the week. Their mom shared with me how they eagerly examine the hymns looking for rhythms, notes and other technical markings- especially ones they don't know so that they can ask me at their next lesson! ;)

I decided to capitalize on their enthusiasm and interest by doing a special hymn project with them over the summer. Each week, they'll be examining one of the hymns sung in church a little more closely, and then we'll discuss their findings at their lesson.

You can see a copy of the worksheet I made up for the project below. I am a lover of good old hymnology, so I am thrilled to have this opportunity to share about the beauty of these old hymns with some of my young students!


I haven't included this worksheet on my printables page, but if you'd like a copy for use in your own studio, or maybe for a fun project at home with your kids, please feel free to let me know by sending me an email or commenting below. 

Have you ever done a fun project like this with any of your students?

4 comments:

  1. Sarah, would you please add this to your printables? I know just the student who will benefit from this...she's unable to take lessons this summer due to family travels, but this would help her greatly with continuing her work until fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy,

      I'm happy to hear that this might be useful for one of your students. Please shoot me an email, and I'll be happy to send you a copy of the worksheet (my email is up at the top RH portion of the blog).

      Thanks!
      Sarah

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful idea! As the Children's Music Director at our church, it pains me to see my choristers not singing. Perhaps a little homework with a reward for completion would get those hymnals open?? I also have at least one piano student/chorister that I know would love to do this. Thank you for sharing! I'd love to have a copy and will email you. Your website is very nice and I love to meander through all the great postings!

    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Whitney,

      I got your email and just sent the worksheet your way! What a great idea to use this with your children's choirs! Hopefully it inspires them to greater participation in worship. :)

      Delete