Thursday, June 28, 2012

5 Truths for Successful, Joyful Teaching

  1. Being a successful teacher does NOT mean never losing a student: No matter whose choice it is (parent, teacher, student) to forgo lessons, this is not a sign of failure! Personalities don't always mesh, expectations may differ, other interests may take precedence...NO business has success 100% of the time. Why should I expect that of myself?
  2. A change of approach doesn't equal failure or lack of competence in planning. How many of us stick with even our daily schedules!? Things crop up, plans change, the unexpected happens...As a teacher the key is to be flexible, creative and roll with the punches. Successful teachers keep an open perspective and are willing to be flexible.
  3. A bad lesson should not be taken personally. How many times have I allowed my frustrations on a personal level impact the way I interact with others? Just because a student has an 'off' week doesn't mean that it's my fault! Successful teachers take both the good and the bad and see them for what they are.
  4. I am a teacher, not a mother. My role is limited. My goal is to instruct. I can instruct until I am blue in the face, but there are certain things that, as a teacher, I have no control over. Successful teachers realize their limitations, but capitalize on what they CAN do.
  5. Teaching should be about my love of music: It's easy to sometimes forget that initial motivation in the hectic stress of weekly lessons, but it's important to keep in mind the WHY. Otherwise, teaching becomes rote- not about ministering to others through music. Successful teachers ALWAYS keep the why in mind.
I tend to take myself WAY to seriously. Over-analysis is part of my personality. So is worrying. It can be so hard to just let things go instead of agonizing over what I should have done or should have said. I've been struggling with this a lot lately, and feeling pretty burnt out as a teacher. That's where this post comes from. God's been reminding me in little ways of the fact that I've been trying too hard to control my life and my studio and that I just need to let go and let Him have control.

I hope that this list is encouraging to other teachers out there who might be experiencing similar feelings of frustration. Please feel free to comment and add to my list!

9 comments:

  1. Yes to all - especially #4.
    It sounds all noble and inspiring to "teach the student, not the music" but there is a limit. At some point a line is necessary and we need to teach the music and let the mother deal with the student.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LaDona, I agree 100%, but it's so hard sometimes to draw that line when you see the potential! Thanks for the reminder- it's so easy for me to keep pushing and pushing and trying to be everything to everyone- you have to set limits for your own personal sanity.

      Delete
  2. Sorry you are burnt out...this is why I take a large chunk of the summer off. It seems to help me get through the year without losing my 'gusto.' Good reminders in this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leah- I really do hope you're enjoying your summer break :) I've seriously considered doing something like that in the past, but unfortunately with mostly beginner students in my studio, I just feel like they'd lose too much! I'll definitely be interested to hear how things turn out once you start lessons back up again.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this post, Sarah- I needed to be reminded of this today :)

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops, I must be tired, too!

    http://hiltonmusicstudio.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne,

      I'm so glad to hear that this post resonated with you. We all have those days/weeks where we need a few extra reminders and a little extra encouragement to keep at it!

      Praying that things start looking up :)
      Sarah

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks! Unfortunately, most of these truths are ones that I've learned the hard way...but that's life! ;)

      Delete