Monday, June 4, 2012

Bittersweet

I'm heaving a deep sigh of contentment this morning. Make-up lesson week is behind me, and I have an entire week off before the summer term starts! I'll be taking the week off from blogging and any studio-related business, but I'll be back on Friday to share about my upcoming summer practice incentives.

The end of a term is always a bittersweet time for me, especially if I happen to be losing any students. Yesterday was the final lesson with one of my high school students. She's moving on to another teacher. The focus in my studio is on beginning through early-intermediate students, and when students reach the upper end of that bracket, I often talk with them about the option to move on to another teacher who can start challenging them with more intermediate-level repertoire and technique. Some are resistant, while others are open to the idea of a new teacher and new experiences.

This particular student and her mother had resisted for two terms, but we finally came to the conclusion that this was indeed the right time to move on and embrace a change.I will miss this student terribly, but I know in my heart that this was the right change for her.

Have you ever passed a student on, knowing it was the best thing for them? How do you know when it is the right time for a change?

3 comments:

  1. A teacher friend told me many years ago that she took students on a 5-7 year plan then encouraged them to move on. Sage advice indeed. It's not in the student's best interest to stay with one teacher the entire time - even though I admit I have some long-term students who just won't leave. The benefits of exposure to another teacher are enormous - but care must be taken, of course, in finding a teacher to send them on to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LaDona,

      I agree with you 100%! I can recall valuable skills learned from every single one of my many teachers. It's never easy and not always fun to move on, but there's definitely something to be said for learning from a variety of sources.

      I'm lucky enough to have my very first piano teacher still living in this area and still teaching, and I send all my students to her when they are ready for a change. I know they're going to an excellent teacher, AND it's a way to thank that teacher in a tangible way for the impact she's had on my life!

      Delete
    2. LaDona,

      I agree with you 100%! I can recall valuable skills that I learned from every single one of my many teachers. Each one had something important to pass on that has helped make me the musician I am today. While it's never easy and sometimes not fun to move on, it's definitely in a serious students' best interest to learn from a variety of sources.

      I'm lucky enough to have my very first teacher still living in this area and still teaching. I send all my students who are ready for a change along to her. I know they're going to an excellent teacher, and it's a way to reward that teacher in a tangible way for the way she's impacted my life!

      Delete