Saturday, September 10, 2011

Fall 2011 First Week Review and 2 New Printables

It's been a great first week back at my studio. While I have to confess that I was dreading the end of summer and the start of a new schedule a little bit, once the week started up I found myself completely enjoying the change of pace and especially seeing all my students again.


If you missed my post on the fall practice incentive, you might want to take a moment to review that post for a better idea of my focus over the course of the week. As is always the case after a break, the lessons are largely comprised of review and getting students back on track for the upcoming term. It was the perfect time to help them set goals for the fall term!



We spent the beginning portion of the lesson doing just that, and I was very excited about the way my students responded to the challenge. They were all enthusiastic about setting goals for themselves and I can't wait to start up again tomorrow and see how many students really followed through with this.


In addition to weekly practice goals and skills for improvement, I included a special section at the bottom of the page with two additional optional activities; a composition and research project. Several students were excited about one of both of these options, and in preparation for upcoming weeks, I created some brainstorming sheets for my students to use in preparing their compositions and completing their research projects. The sheets are shown below, and they are both available for download on my printables tab under "Other Teaching Aids". I'm sorry the images below are so small...I'm not sure why they came out that way :(



How has everyone else's week gone?

2 comments:

  1. I have been thinking a lot about your students setting their own goals. What are your favorite goals so far?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several of them have been very excited about writing their own songs, and we've been working on that. I also have a few working on some music discovery research projects :)

    But I think my favorite so far was one of my first graders who said she wanted to "Build up her stamina!" I don't know if she even fully knew what that meant, but that's what she wrote!

    ReplyDelete