Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Lily Pad Interval Game

Interval recognition is key to good sightreading skills, and with that in mind I've designed this simple game for my students. You can use it with individual students, or in a group lesson setting as a game for teams.


Print the lily pads using card stock. Place the lily pads on the floor or table top. (You can pick and choose which lily pads to use depending on the students skill level or if there are specific intervals that need work). Then give each student or team a stuffed frog. Hold up an interval card (Jennifer Fink has some great 'interval tower' flashcards available at her website here) and see how fast the student or team can identify the interval and make their frog leap to the correct lily pad!

I'm looking forward to trying this game out in upcoming group lessons, but please give me any feedback you may have from using the game and if you have any suggestions. I wasn't too pleased with the image quality on the lily pads. You can find the game on my printables page.

5 comments:

  1. I love it! I'm definitely going to give this a try thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good! Let me know what you think of it when you give it a go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah -

    Just wanted to drop by and say "hi!" Thanks for the link to my interval cards - glad you've been able to use them. I just discovered your blog and am looking forward to reading through in more detail. You've got some great, colorful materials!! Thanks for sharing!

    Jen Fink

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok so as I was browsing Michael's craft store today I got an idea based on your game. How about using large foam or felt Easter eggs instead of lily pads and instead of frogs use bunnies. Just for a festive Easter version. I think ill try it and write a post on my blog but thank you because I don't think I would have thought of it if I hadn't just read your post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen- Thanks for your kind words! I'm obviously new to the community and have only had my blog up for about 3 months, but I'm looking forward to adding more resources in the coming months! :)

    Rachel- By all means do it! This is an idea that can spin off into so many variations (I can imagine ones for summer/fall/winter seasons and holidays...). Feel free to branch out and let me know what you come up with. I think the Easter egg variation is a fabulous idea.

    I've already got several ideas for Easter floating around in my head, but I'm trying to stay focused on March and St. Patty's Day at the moment ;)I'll look forward to reading your post!

    ReplyDelete